Tonight is the spookiest night of the year. Halloween is a fun time for kids to go out and collect their candy, but safety should be the foremost priority of the evening. Make sure that your Halloween is a great time and avoid scary accidents by following these safety tips.
1. Make sure that your child is visible in their costume. When possible, use reflective tape or bright colors to make sure that they can be seen by vehicles on the road.
2. Instruct them to cross the street only when it is safe to do so. Look both ways, use crosswalks when possible, and let them know to make eye contact with drivers before going in front of the vehicle.
3. If you can, you should avoid using masks for younger kids. Masks can impede their vision and make it difficult to see any obstructions.
4. For all you Colorado People, it’s going to be cold! Make sure your kids are dressed to stay warm. It’s a bummer to cover up your costume, but it’s even worse to freeze 30 minutes in.
5. If you have to go out, drive extra carefully. Keep an eye out for stray trick-or-treaters.
6. Have your kids walk on the sidewalk at all times. They should pick routes that allow them to cross the street as infrequently as possible.
7. Check all your kids’ candy just in case. It’s unlikely that there is anything wrong with it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
8. Watch out for black ice. With the temperatures so low it is likely to be slippery outside. Make sure the kids are aware of the potential of slipping and falling.
9. If you will not be accompanying your children, make sure that they go out in a group (ideally trustworthy people.)
10. Set a curfew and make sure that your kids adhere to it.
Provided you’re well prepared and follow these safety tips Halloween will be a blast for you and your kids. Have fun and be safe out there!